Q. How do I know if the campus is closed?

The college will remain open except under extreme weather conditions or emergency situations. School closing or delays will be reported to local television and radio stations and on the College’s homepage at www.RhodesState.edu. Sign up for Rhodes Alert, a service providing Rhodes State students and employees with emergency notifications in the event of weather emergencies, weather closures, and campus security threats. These notifications will be delivered via phone, email, and text message.

Q. How do I drop/add classes?

Prior to the beginning of each term students can add and drop classes online via STARS. Students can also change their schedule by obtaining an add/drop form from the Office of Admissions and Advising in Public Services Building Room 148. The student may also receive assistance with schedule changes while visiting the office.

Students who wish to withdraw from a course should discuss doing so with their advisor. If, after this conference, students still wish to withdraw, they should proceed as follows (This schedule may vary depending on the length of the summer term selected.):

  1. Students who desire to withdraw from one or more of their courses should obtain a drop/add form from the Office of Advising, complete it and return it to the Office for processing.
  2. Students who withdraw from one or more courses after the 15th day of a semester must obtain the signature of the course instructor(s) on the drop/add form.
  3. Before 5 p.m. of the 6th Friday of a semester, students may withdraw from one or more courses or from all courses and no grade will be entered on their official permanent record.
  4. Between 5 p.m. of the 6th Friday and 5 p.m. of the 11th Friday of the semester, students may withdraw from one or more courses or from all courses and their official permanent record shall bear the notation “W.”
  5. Students normally are not permitted to withdraw after the 11th Friday of a semester. If a student finds it necessary to withdraw from one or more courses after 5 p.m. of the 11th Friday because of extenuating circumstances (illness or some other unavoidable event late in the semester), he/she must file a withdrawal petition with the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Withdraw petitions
    may be obtained from the Office of Advising. Be advised that students remain enrolled in courses until approval of the withdrawal petition is signed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs and recorded by the Records Office. Therefore, students must continue attending any course in which he/she is enrolled until such time that the petition is approved or denied by the Vice President. A faculty member’s signature does not constitute approval of the petition. Documentation of the extenuating
    circumstances is required before approval of the petition will be granted. Without extenuating circumstances, the petition will be denied by the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Upon approval of the petition, the Records Office will enter the grade of “WP” (withdrew passing) or “WF” (withdrew failing) on the student’s official permanent record, as indicated by the course instructor.
  6. Withdrawing from a course during final examination week is not permitted. Students are advised to discuss their circumstances with the instructor who may elect to issue an incomplete “I” grade. Students continue to be enrolled in the course and are expected to take the final examination until such time the instructor agrees to issue an incomplete grade of “I.” An “I” indicates that the work of the student in the course is qualitatively satisfactory, but that for legitimate reasons a small fraction
    remains to be completed. For more information on incomplete grades please see the section titled “grading and credit system.” Only under the most extenuating and documented circumstances will the Vice President for Academic Affairs approve a withdrawal petition once the semester has ended and grades have been posted to the student’s permanent record.
  7. Withdrawal petitions submitted after a semester has ended will not be considered unless extenuating circumstances are present and the petition is received no later than the Friday of the 9th week of the following term.
  8. A student who ceases to attend a course without following the withdrawal procedure prescribed will receive a failing grade for the course and will forfeit all fees paid.

Q. When is it too late to add a class?

Students can add a course during the first week of classes by filling out a drop/add slip and giving it to the Office of Admissions and Advising front desk to process. If the class has met, the student will need to take the drop/add slip to the respective Dean to get their signature on it and then return it to Admissions and Advising to process. In some cases, the instructor’s signature may be required.

Q. When dropping a class, what do I need to consider?

If you receive financial aid, ALWAYS CHECK WITH FINANCIAL AID TO DETERMINE HOW DROPPING A CLASS WILL AFFECT YOU BEFORE YOU MAKE THE DECISION TO DROP A CLASS. Dropping a class could have a negative impact on the aid that you receive. If your aid is based on full time and you drop a class you could be in violation of the 67% completion rule, meaning you must successfully complete at least 67% of the course work that you attempt each term. When you drop a class, you are not successfully completing the class. If your aid is based on full time, and you plan to add another class to take place of the one you are dropping, you need to determine whether the class is still open and available to you. If the class has already met, realize that you are starting out with a serious deficit as homework and reading assignments may already have been assigned.

Q. What do I do if I can’t make it to class?

If you know in advance that you will not be there, let the instructor know right away and see if there is anything you can do prior to the day you will miss class. In order to contact your instructor look on the class syllabus for their e-mail, phone number or office location. Otherwise, communicate with your instructor as soon as possible so that you can get any information that you may need before the next class. Ask about any assignments and what you can do to make up any work, if the instructor allows it. It is also wise to find another student in the class who would be willing to share notes with you from the class that you were unable to attend.

Q. How many majors can I declare?

You can declare two majors. To add a second major you must complete a Major Revision form and turn it in to the Advising Center in Public Services Room 148. You can print the form or obtain a form at the advising center front desk.

Q. How do I know when my transfer credit is processed?

After your official transcript has been received and reviewed by the Rhodes State Office of Transfer you will be sent written notification of the outcome of the review. There are occasions when the Office of Transfer will send transcripts to deans or chairs to determine the transferability of a certain course(s). In these cases you may receive more than one notification of transfer credit, as the Office of Transfer will send out one notification for courses that do not require further review by deans and chairs and another notification regarding the outcome of courses reviewed by deans and chairs.

Q. Who are the faculty?

At the college level, your instructors are referred to as members of the faculty.

Q. What is a professor?

Professor is the highest rank for college teachers, also sometimes called "full professor" to distinguish it from associate professor and assistant professor. It is also a correct form of address for any person that holds any of the three professional ranks noted above.

Q. What is OhioLINK?

OhioLINK is a consortium of Ohio's college and university libraries that have agreed to share their library resources. Our library is an OhioLINK member. This means that Rhodes State students have access and can request itesm from an online catalog of over 49 million items in 89 Ohio colleges and universities.  To access OhioLINK click here.

Q. What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a course requirement that must be met prior to taking another course. For example, the prerequisite for PSY 1730 (Abnormal Psychology) is PSY 1010 (General Psychology). This means you must have taken General Psychology before you can enroll in Abnormal Psychology. Prerequisites for specific courses can be found in the Rhodes State catalogue or online via STARS.

Q. What is a semester?

A semester (sometimes called a "term") is one-half of an academic year. The semester system divides an academic year into two parts (plus an additional term for summer), usually a fall and spring term of 15 weeks each.

Q. What is a syllabus?

A syllabus is a summary or outline distributed by an instructor that states the main topics to be discussed in a course. It usually includes deadlines for assignments, class policies, and grade standards. The syllabus also includes contact information for the instructor and his or her office hours.

Q. What is plagiarism?

To plagiarize is to take the ideas or writings of another and present them as one's own. Plagiarism is a serious offense in an academic environment. A complete description of the consequences of cheating and plagiarism can be found in the Rhodes State Catalog.

Q. What is a GPA?

GPA stands for "grade point average". To compute your GPA, first multiply the credit hours for each course by the grade assigned (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, E=0). These are your "quality points". Next, divide the quality points by your total credit hours. Here is an example:

 Credit HoursGradeQualityPoints
  4 A (4 points) 16
  3 B (3 points) 9
  4 C (2 points) 8
  4 D (1 points) 4
  3 F (0 points) 0
TOTAL 18     37

Total quality points/hours attempted = GPA 37/18 = 2.06 GPA

Q. What is a transcript?

A transcript is an official record of your academic history. It shows the courses you have taken, grades received in those courses, and your term and cumulative grade point averages. An official transcript can be requested from the Rhodes State Department of Records for a small fee.

Q. What is academic warning and probation?

A student is placed on academic warning or probation if the student's cumulative grade point average falls below the following established minimum:

Cumulative Attempted HoursWarning GPAProbation GPA
1 -7 0.0 to 1.99 -----
8 - 19 1.4 to 1.99 0.0 to 1.39
20 - 39 1.6 to 1.99 0.0 to 1.59
40 - 59 1.8 to 1.99 0.0 to 1.79
60+ 1.9 to 1.99 0.0 to 1.89

Notification of academic probation is provided on grade report forms and via a letter of notification from the Rhodes State Department of Records. Students on academic probation are required to meet with an advisor to develop a plan to resolve their academic difficulties.

Q. I received a letter stating I am being transitioned to another advisor because I have completed 30 hours in my major. What does this mean and what should I do?

Students pursuing non-health majors transition to faculty advisors after they have completed 30 hours in their declared majors. This transition is important, as it puts students in contact with faculty specializing in their declared majors so they can receive all of the information they need to complete their degree requirements. The transition letters include the names and contact numbers of faculty assigned to each non-health major. Contact your faculty advisor to schedule a time to review your curriculum and discuss what you have left to complete in order to graduate.

Q. What documents will I receive after meeting with my advisor if I am an Allied Health Student?

After meeting with your advisor, you will have a curriculum check sheet specific to your program, a copy of the General Prep Manual (either Allied Health or Nursing depending on the major you are pursuing), and a notice to current or perspective health students regarding license eligibility in Ohio. You will also receive an Educational Planning Form which is based on ACT and COMPASS test scores as well as any transfer credit awarded.

Q. What is health qualification?

Health Qualification is a process for determining if you meet the minimum academic requirements in your declared health program. In general, all health students must satisfy minimum criteria in reading, writing, math, and science. Depending on the program you have chosen computer applications, STNA, and/or observation hours may also be required. Your academic advisor determines if you have met the minimum qualification criteria for your program by reviewing your academic record, test scores (ACT and COMPASS), and high school coursework. If you are not sure if you have qualified or if you need to know what to do to get qualified, schedule a time to meet with your academic advisor by calling the Rhodes State Advising Center at 419-995-8400.

Q. What is a “qualification date?”

When you have completed all qualification requirements you are awarded a qualification date. Your qualification date represents the date Rhodes State College received the final piece of information that confirms you have satisfied all of your qualification criteria. There are multiple ways to meet each qualification requirement. If you must take course work to become qualified, you will qualify at the end of the semester in which the course work is completed as long as you also meet the minimum GPA requirement for your program.

Q. How does the qualification list work?

The names and contact information of students awarded qualification dates are listed and ordered on the qualified list in chronological order first by qualification date, then by application date. In the case of two or more students in the same program being awarded the same qualification date, the student with the earliest application date is placed ahead of the other students who qualified on the same date. The student with the earliest qualification date is the first person considered for a seat in a program, then the second student and so on.

Q. How often does the qualification list get updated?

The qualification list is updated at the conclusion of each academic term (semester) – once final grades have been posted and GPA’s have been adjusted. The qualification list update process then takes approximately 6-8 weeks. During this time, the qualification lists for all of the Nursing and Allied Health programs are updated.

Once this update is complete, students who have newly qualified as a result of this update will receive an official qualification e-mail (a letter is mailed if no e-mail address is available) from the Advising Office, and students who have been removed from their respective qualification list will also receive notification via mail; and students continuing on their respective list will be able to see if their Estimated Program Entry Date has changed.

Any updates to student information such as transfer credit, ACT scores, reactivations, etc. will be included in the qualification review that occurs after the update information is received.

Q. I think I’m qualified for my Health program. Do I need to contact anyone?

No. As long as you have met the qualification requirements for your designated major, you are assessed for qualification each term by our office, and do not need to contact anyone in order to initiate this process. (See “How often does the qualification list get updated?”) If you are not sure you have met the qualification requirements, schedule a time to meet with an academic advisor to review your qualification status.

Q. Will I receive a number of placement on the Qualified List?

No. Students are ranked by qualification date and application date ONLY. When you meet all of the qualification requirements for your chosen major you are assigned a probable term to begin your program. Please note that your probable term may change depending on what others ahead of you on the list do. If students ahead of you on the list change their major, defer to another year or fall below the minimum GPA requirements, you move closer to the top of the list.

Q. What if my GPA falls below the required minimum for my major after I have been placed on the Qualified List?

Your name will be removed from the qualified list until you raise your GPA to the required minimum. When you increase your GPA to the required minimum for your program, you will be awarded a new qualification date that reflects when you attained the required GPA, and you are placed back on the qualification list accordingly.

Q. Once on the list, how long will it be until I receive an offer to take a seat in the program?

Due to the availability of clinical practice opportunities, seats in health programs are limited. When you receive an invitation depends on the particular program you are in and how many seats are offered each year as well as the number of students who are on each qualified list. The following list identifies the number of seats available and frequency of entry for each program:

MajorNumber of SeatsFrequency of Entry
Nursing (RN) 105* 2 times/yr (in Fall & Spring)
Nursing (LPN) 40 1 time/yr (in Fall)
Dental Hygiene 24 1 time/yr in Fall
Medical Assisting 30 1 time/yr in Fall
Occupational Therapy Assistant 25 1 time/yr in Summer
Physical Therapist Assistant 30 1 time/yr in Summer
Radiographic Imaging 30 1 time/yr in Fall
Respiratory Care 26 1 time/yr in Summer
Paramedic Certificate 20 1 time/yr in Fall

*Please note that 25 of the 105 students are selected through a process known as ACCELERATED CLINICAL ENTRY (ACE).

Q. If I am offered a seat in my program but am not ready to take it, must I accept the seat?

No. When you are offered a seat in your program, you may choose to accept your seat, decline your seat, or defer your seat. You may defer your seat to another term (Nursing-ADRN program) or year (all other programs). Provided that you maintain the minimum GPA for your program, the seat is yours upon the requested quarter/year. You may defer a seat ONCE before losing placement on the Qualified List. Deferring a second time changes your qualification date to the date of your second deferral and you are ordered on the qualified list accordingly.

Q. What is ACE?

For each of Fall and Spring semesters, in addition to the approximately 80 students who will enter the Nursing program through the regular qualification and invitation process, up to 25 additional students may be selected for Accelerated Clinical Entry (ACE) into the Nursing program. The following additional set of criteria must be met in order for a student to be considered for ACE:

  • Meet general admission criteria 
  • Meet qualification criteria 
  • Minimum GPA of 3.5 preferred (if new student, minimum high school GPA of 3.5 preferred; if new transfer student, minimum GPA of 3.2 preferred from institution of last attendance of 12 credit hours or more) 
  • Completion of BHS 2110, BIO 1110, BIO 1120, BIO 1400, DTN 1220, and PSY 1010 preferred 
  • ACT composite score of 21 or higher preferred 
  • Submission of request for ACE status by stated deadline 
  • Submission of 300-400 word essay addressing stated topic by stated deadline

Q. If I have questions about enrollment or qualification who should I call?

You may call (419) 995-8400 to set up an appointment to meet with an academic advisor.